Friday, May 24, 2013

Fairy Doors

I have always loved Fairies. There is something so delicate and beautiful about them that I find appealing on many levels.
As a child growing up on a farm (hobby farm-don't get too excited), my siblings were WAY older than myself (I wrote WAY in capitals because I know they will be reading this-tee hee!) and were, for the most part, gone making lives for themselves. As a result, I spent a lot of time outside playing by myself.

We had a lot of great spots to play in. Long grass to hide in, trees to climb, fields to explore. Many times I would imagine fairies coming out to join me in my fun!

As I grew older I began to collect a few figurines and have always been intrigued by fairy lore and legend. A couple of years ago, online (probably Etsy), I noticed "Fairy Doors" being sold. Of course I wanted one. I briefly flirted with the notion of making one myself but if you know me then you know that's too much work. :)  So my fairy door dream remained just that.. a dream. I knew that someday I would come across them and that would be the right time to grab it!

This morning I was on Facebook when my favourite store in my downtown area announced that they would be carrying Fairy Doors starting today! They are made by local artists (makes them even BETTER in my opinion) and I cannot believe that I didn't know they existed until this morning.
Needless to say ... I hoofed it downtown ASAP!

I was in heaven! There was about a dozen doors displayed and I wanted all of them. I limited myself to two. One for outside and one for Gabby's room. (I mean come on... of course a little girl needs a Fairy Door!!! Right?? *which means I will need to go back soon and grab one for my bedroom as well!! *)

They are so beautiful and I fear that my pictures will not capture the workmanship and beauty of them that comes across in "real life".

The first one is in Gabby's room...


I figured that placed right beside the "Fairy Mothership" was the best idea


The second one was destined to be outside. We have an old tree that I knew it would be perfect for!



If you are interested, they sell online..just click on that and it will take you to their Etsy page. They also have a Facebook page. 

I will leave you with my favourite "Fairy song"...




9 comments:

Kim said...

aww-they are adorable!!! I love them both ♥

Eileen said...

Oh my gosh, I absolutely love these!! I have never heard of fairy doors, but what a lovely thought. The two you chose are lovely ~ I especially like the one on the tree. It's just perfect!
You should link up your soap making post or a cooking post or something at my new party at The Pink Home. It's the first week and I need all the help I can get. :)

Gorilla Bananas said...

Maybe you should put a warning above those doors for any passing fairies: "Open but don't walk through or you'll bump your head".

Vee said...

Oh I have wanted to make a fairy door for one of those openings at the base of my tree that just looks as if it needs such a thing. Very cute, but I'm worried about what your boys are going to say about this. I'm sure that you'll tell us. Ha!

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

I have always loved Fairies. There is something so delicate and beautiful about them that I find appealing on many levels.

You're not kidding!

How soon before Mass puts a Lego figurine in a luchador mask in Gabby's fairy door?

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

You need to set up a special camera to catch them going through the doors!
~

Michele said...

waaay cool! love these fairy doors. thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog at art from the well. have a lovely memorial day weekend. xo

Randal Graves said...

Local artists? You're supposed to support the economy with purchases of mass-produced, sweatshop goods.

More Deep Purple.

Unknown said...

Love your fairy doors! xoxo